Thursday, September 9, 2010

A Pennyful of Thoughts

Thanks to the EWU Children’s Studies Club and their Pennies for Pencils drive I was able to make some very special deliveries last week. They were just simple things that seem so basic back home. But here, they were very big things! I just couldn’t stop smiling, seeing the teacher and student’s delight. And it was so delightful to give, not just pencils, but markers, colored pencils, scissors, notebooks, balls, and books too.
I made a similar delivery at the prison (where young children stay with their mothers until the age of three, and sometimes longer if they have nowhere else to go.) And my last stop was the hospital, with erasable drawing boards.
This was all from money raised from college student’s pocket change!

I was thinking about pennies, how they can sometimes seem insignificant, just one small coin. But they are the very makeup of the dollar, which is the very makeup of the American economy (whether in a recession or not). One penny might not seem like much, but if every American gave just one penny, the total amount of money would be over 3 million dollars! Wow! I think it’s the same way with our daily actions. They can seem so small, like what we are doing couldn’t ever really make a difference. But if together we do little things, to reach out, to show others that we care, it really can change the world.

So, heads or tails? I say heads. Where on every penny (and nickel, quarter, and dime too) it is written “In God we trust.” There is no other place I would rather place my trust! Indeed, how very good it is to be able to trust in God and to know that He is all the time trustworthy! Well, that’s my two cents worth. I’ll end with this challenge from Psalm 37:3 that echoes this project and my heart’s desire for the rest of my service here, “Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and cultivate faithfulness.”

No comments:

Post a Comment